BOOKS on DNA
This is a list of books about DNA structures which I have read and would recommend as an introduction to the subject. This is but a tiny sample of the books that have been published. For a longer list, click here for a link to a list of more than 1000 books on DNA.
- Sinden, R.R., DNA Structure and Function, (San Diego: Academic Press, 1994). This is a good introduction to DNA supercoiling, and alternative helical structures. Of course, I am probably a bit bais towards this book, since Richard Sinden was my Ph.D. thesis advisor, and I helped with the references for this book! This is one of the "best sellers" in DNA structure books, according to Amazon.com.
- * Calladine, C.R. and Drew, H.R., Understanding DNA - The Molecule & How It Works, (San Diego: Academic Press, 1992). (* I like this book!) This is a very good introduction into DNA curvature, as well as the mechanical properties of the various types of DNA helices. It was written by a mechanical engineer (Chris Calladine) and x-ray crystallographer (Horace Drew). The writing style is clear and very descriptive. I commonly assign this text as an introduction to DNA structures.
- Saenger, W., Principles of Nucleic Acid Structure, (New York: Springer-Verlag, 1984). A very good, though a bit old, book for the most DETAILED analysis of DNA Structure
Some other good textbooks:
- Adams, R.L.P., Knowler, J.T. and Leader, D.P. The Biochemistry of the NUCLEIC ACIDS, (London: Chapman and Hall, 1986, Tenth edition).
- Blackburn, G.M. and Gait, M.J., Nucleic Acids in Chemistry and Biology, (Oxford:IRL Press at Oxford University Press, 1990).
- Watson, J., Hopkins, N., Roberts, J., Steitz, J. and Weiner, A. , The Structures of DNA. In: Molecular Biology of the Gene, (New York: The Benjamin/Cummings Publishing Company, Inc., 1992).
- Cantor, C.R. and Schimmel, P.R., Structures of Nucleic Acids. In: Biophysical Chemistry, Part I, (San Francisco: W.H. Freeman & Co., 1980, p. 155-205).
Some good (less technical) books, written more for people outside the field:
- Berg, P. and Singer, M., DEALING WITH GENES - The Language of Heredity, (Mill Valley, California: University Science Books, Blackwell Scientific Publications, 1992).
- Drlica, Karl, Understanding DNA and Gene CLONING - A Guide for the Curious, (New York: John Wiley & Sons, 1984).
- Frank-Kamenetskii, M.D., Unravelling DNA, (Cambridge: VCH Publishers (UK) Ltd., 1993).
- Rosenfield, I., Ziff, E. and Van Loon, B., DNA for Beginners, (New York: W.W. Norton and Company, 1983).
Back to Dave's Homepage
Last modified on: 5 June, 2000 by Dave Ussery